posted Sep 2, 2010, 2:13 PM by Tim Converse
updated Feb 26, 2011, 10:17 AM
Greetings to one and all who wish to lift their rapiers high! Come to Falcon’s Treaty to learn the art of defense, fight in tournaments, participate in games of chance, and to fight in Guild Prizes! So come join us in fighting, games of chance, and much, much more!
Caer Darth is doing this event in part as a demo for the parents and kids of the Waldorf School where we are holding this event. Please feel free to bring your art projects or other things you would like to be able to display. Several of the games we want to hold will be done in a manner to allow our guests to try out some of what we do. If you have questions please contact the autocrats.
Site Fee: $10 members (NMS applies). Please make checks payable to - "SCA, Inc.- Canton of Caer Darth." (Local guests for the demo are free.)
- Site Opens at 9:00 am
- Armor Inspection 10:00 am
Games and tourneys for the day will be from the following list:
- Youth Tourney
- Ladies Tourney
- Wheel of Weapons
- This is a Double Elimination tournament. Cut & Thrust is an acceptable form if both participants agree to it. Before each fight, the fencers will spin the wheel to decide which weapons form they will take to the field.
- Pin the Scarf on The Don
- A target is placed within lunging distance of the fencer. The Fencer is then blindfolded, spun around, and reoriented to face target. The person with the closest hit on the “Don” arm wins.
- Skeet Fencing
- Multiple balls are tossed into the air. The fencer who is able to hit the most balls before they land wins.
- Speed Lunging
- The fencer with the most lunges in ten seconds wins. Lunges need to be accurate to count.
- Dodge Lunge
- An Assistant lunges at a fencer. The fencer then must void the attack. The fencer with the most successful voids within a minute time wins. Fencers will reset when hit.
- Footwork Footraces
- Various footwork drills will be set up. The fencers will then attempt to do the footwork properly from Point A to Point B. The fencer with the best form and time wins.
- Freeze Tag
- Three Man
- Single elimination; best two of three; Death From Behind (DFB) is allowed. Bring two of your best comrades and crush all who oppose you!
- Food Fight
- Resurrection battle; Single Sword only; Death From Behind (DFB) is allowed. Fighters present will be placed into one of three groups. The team with the best time wins. While Groups “A” and “B” fight, group “C” assist with the marshaling. Then the teams switch until all have had a chance to play against each other. The teams fighting are attempting to gather all of the food in their bin. No throwing food; fighters must hand deliver the food to their team’s bin. If a fighter dies, then they must immediately drop any food they might have been carrying and head for their team’s resurrection point. To resurrect, the fighter must remove one piece of food from their team’s bin and deliver it to the marshal’s bin. If there is food in their team’s bin, fighters can not choose to not resurrect, unless for safety purposes. The team marshaling will ensure the fighters are safe and deliver any of the food used for resurrection back into the game.
A Lunch Break will be called approximately 1:00 pm.
We will have a number of additional demonstrations including:
- Medieval Foods
- Spinning Wool
- Drop Spindle
- Spinning Wheels
Santa Cruz Waldorf School
2190 Empire Grade, Santa Cruz CA 95060
- Staffan Arffruidson
- 1-925-858-3562 (no calls after 9:00 pm)
- Juan Santiago
- santiagosmagic (at) gmail (dot) com
- 1-615-624-4251 (no calls after 9:00 pm)
Take your best route to Highway 1/Mission St in Santa Cruz. Turn on to Bay St heading towards UC Santa Cruz. Turn left on to High St. Follow High Street and stay on it as it becomes Empire Grade. The Waldorf School will be approximately 2.5 miles up Empire Grade on the right side marked by a large Waldorf sign.